I knew heading into November, the Holidays were going to be a blur. First came Thanksgiving, a lovely mix of family, food, and Catan. Then in early December our family was heading to a Disneyland Trip. I stopped off in Fresno to shoot a wedding, while the kiddos and hubby played in the pool, and watched Tangled….which my husband dubbed, “the best 3D movie he had ever seen.” yes…quote. :)
We had so much fun in Disneyland….See a blog about it here.
Then we came home…after losing a week of the Christmas Season (note to self…next year, have all the christmas shopping done and the house decorated before leaving on an 8 day trip in the beginning of December…..if only I was a tad more organized!), we jumped full force into Christmas…and I really slowed down to enjoy it! I loved every second of teaching my daughter to wrap presents…and letting her do it, even though they weren’t perfect. I usually take pride in the way I wrap gifts…I’m a visual person….but….I take more pride in spending time with my daughter, and letting her take joy in wrapping, like I do.
In my old age, I am learning to let go. :) And I like it!
We had an amazing Christmas with family and just enjoyed. We have had some pretty crazy running around Christmas’ where the kids and myself were cranky from all the hustle and bustle. A few years ago, we decided not to do the race around anymore…and it feels really good. I like to just sit back…and not have to watch the clock.
Then…a few days after Christmas, we headed to Kauai for another amazing destination wedding. my favorite kind! And a few days ago, while I sat on the Hanalei Bay Beach…at the St. Regis Princeville, I had some time to think….about where I’ve been, and where I want to go. I wanted to share with you a few of my thoughts.
So often, at the beginning of a new year, we think about all the things we failed at the year before. To me…this seems a futile and depressing! You can only change your future, not the past…so I wanted to focus on some of the things I did well this year.
- I took more time off and took 4 trips with family this summer. Even though my husband and I were both very booked with work, we scheduled time with the family for some fun Get Aways to Eastern Washington, Ocean Shores, Sunlakes and Disneyland.
- I relinquished all dish duty to our new dishboy….aka my husband. :)
- I did better at stopping holding my house to someone else’s clean standard. I would rather be spending time with my kids, than scrubbing.
- I listened to more music.
- I got a pedicure very regularly. :)
- I slept more.
- I stopped bringing my computer to bed.
- Our family snuggled most every night of the week before praying and going to bed.
- Bought a stop watch/timer…and use it with my kids all the time.
- I ate more veggies.
- I stopped using shampoo…and my hair and skin are thanking me.
- I bought myself a happy light.
- I kept my Goodwill trips to a minimum. ( maybe once a month vs once a week!)
- Went sledding and drank hot cocoa with the kiddos
- Went on a regular Date Night with my man (thanks to my parents for watching our kids)!
- Purged my closet….of 5 garbage bags of clothes and shoes.
- I took my kids to the park or beach more than ever. :)
There are also some things that I would like to do better for next year:
- Eat more veggies.
- Drink more water
- Take a walk everyday…for at least 15 minutes.
- Take at least 1 weekend off every month during busy season.
- Print all the years of pictures that are sitting on my hard drive…and continue this pattern!
- Choose to be content
- Purge my closet again…and my office, pantry, coat closet, garage and……well….alot of things.
- Take more sunny days off in the summer….cuz it doesn’t last very long!
- Embrace my quirks…..and my husbands quirks.
- Make more crafts with the kiddos.
- Spend more time outside.
- Learn to make Lefsa
- Have a Costume Party ( i used to have these ALL the time and got out of the practice…so sad!)
I think the key to actually feeling good about accomplishing your goals, and not getting too overwhelmed with them, is that you have to break them down into manageable chunks….a few things that you really can do to effect your goals every day. :) I love that we really can change our behavior and do something about the things we wish were different about our lives. I plan to just take one day at a time, enjoy the ride and laugh alot.
Leave me a comment and let me know what goals you are going to try for this year! I would love to hear them…and probably try for them myself!